Friday 18 April 2008

And another thing ...

... I won't miss is ants. I'm not scared of them like I am cockroaches, and I confess to finding the way in which they organise themselves truly fascinating. However I'm not out here to study ants and I won't be sorry to be deprived of that experience. I just went into the kitchen at work there and picked up a teatowel to discover it was teaming with them. Someone must have wiped something sweet onto it and that is like a magnet to them. A couple of weeks ago there was a large mass of them on the tiled kitchen floor in the house and the mass kept moving. I looked closer to discover it was a dead ghekko covered in ants. They were 'wagging' it's tail and waving its arm. It's undeniably clever but not very nice to mock the dead is it? Yuk.

I should say here that although I say I am scared of cockroaches I have improved a great deal. A week or two ago I was sitting in a bar on the beach in Unawatuna at yet another emotional farewell night when I spotted a humungous cockroach stepping in and out of the coconut shells adorning the wall just 6 feet away. I was just deciding how to react to that when a rat appeared and started doing the same!! However, much as I was horrified, when one of the guys asked if I wanted to move to another table I said no, I was fine. Can't guarantee to do that next time and I'd had a few arraks and ginger beer.

Anyway as I said, I'm not scared of ants but neither am I emotionally attached to them and therefore, I won't miss them one tiny bit.

No comments: