Friday 11 April 2008

What I WON'T miss about Sri Lanka


Funnily enough, I won’t miss the rainstorms here. I came over here thinking I was a hardy Scot, I know about rain, I’m from Greenock for goodness’ sake, I’m practically half rain myself.

Little did I know. You see, it rains in Greenock, it rains a lot and it rains nearly as much in Glasgow but it’s not the frequency that gets to me here, it’s the volume. It’s unbelievable. Gargantuan sized drops of rain, millions of them, all pouring down on you like someone up there’s got a giant sky sized hose and a twisted sense of humour.

We’re all thinking the monsoon season has started early because it’s been every day for a week now. And the rain can’t just come on its own, no it has to come mob handed with the thunder and lightning the big chicken that it is!!

And chicken is one word to describe me when they all arrive at my door. I guess I can be forgiven for being a baby after my computer was struck by lightning a few weeks ago but you know, I’m thinking that maybe I need to toughen up. Or go home! I was in the house alone at teatime one day this week when it all kicked off. The rain started pouring in the open air bit above the ponds – it was pouring with such force I thought the fish were going to drown. Yes I do know what’s wrong with that statement, I just panicked a bit, okay?

I was coping though – even managed to remain calm when the power went off seven times. As I say, I was coping until the thunder shook the foundations of Sri Lanka and the lightning came cracking in through the open ceiling!! At that point, I stopped coping and started cowering in a corner with my hands over my ears whimpering “please go away, I promise I’ll be good”. (I do hope it goes without saying that I am exaggerating bits of this – eg I NEVER promised to be good, it’s not in my nature, it just fitted in with the cowering picture.)

A very kind friend took pity on me and distracted me from the storm by texting till it was over which was much appreciated but since then I’ve learned that it’s dangerous to use your phone in a storm. You can’t win! Thea and I met someone last night and she gave us a lift home. On the way she stopped to introduce us to her brother who lives in the next street to us. As we got out the car the heavens opened and it all kicked off again – this poor family barely got a chance to open the door as we threw ourselves in uninvited! The woman of the house squealed when I got a text and told me her friend’s brother was killed yesterday because lightning struck his phone!

Several hours later as the car swam the 500 yards to our house (no, we could not have walked in that) I knew what my first “things I won’t miss” blog posting would be about …
PS Photo copyright J Early

No comments: