Tuesday 8 April 2008

The Countdown Begins

Well, I'm nearly at the end of my Sri Lankan experience. I will stop off in Singapore for 4 days but I leave Sri Lanka on 24th April which is 16 days from now. In 15 days time I will head to Colombo, meet up with some of the other volunteers for dinner and stay the night before flying out the next morning. The Countdown has started and I've only 6 full days of work left to do. This is because in addition to weekends, we've got the Sinhala new year coming up - more on that later.

So, I've decided to copy my predecessor at this company and do a "things I'll miss about Sri Lanka, things I won't" - each of my working days I'll post one of each so there will be 6 in total. It sounds like not a lot but I'm going to try not to repeat anything I've already talked about on the blog so it'll all be new stuff. That means that just because Sri Lankan driving, mad dogs and beasties are not mentioned in my top 6 of things I'll not miss, does not mean I WILL miss them cos I certainly won't.

I don't plan to continue this blog for much longer than that. I will probably do one posting when I return home because I will obviously have a very different perspective by then but I reckon I'll wrap up at the start of May. I've enjoyed doing it though and it's great to have, along with my handwritten journal and all the emails to friends, a lasting record of what I got up to and how it's affected me. That way when I reach old age (not too long now - hah! said it before anyone else did) and I've forgotten it all, I can remind myself!

No comments: