Friday 8 February 2008

Mini Beasts

One of the hardest things to adjust to over here is the mini beast situation. I call them that because when I did teacher training I discovered this is the correct term and the one I’d been using was – well, just swear words really.

Anyway I’m not a fan. To be fair, so far it’s been not too bad. I’m almost immune to the ants and the little spiders and I know my time will come but most of those other horrible things that I can’t even mention by name, have been keeping out of my way till now.

My colleague Muna was laughing at me for having a fight with a mosquito – I think perhaps it’s not very Sri Lankan to try to communicate with them (definitely not Sri Lankan to swear at them) but I was just trying to explain that I was minding my own business and it should do the same. I consider myself fortunate indeed, however, not to be living in Wisconsin!

Do you know what I’ve discovered? Apparently it’s only female mosquitoes who bite and they do it to fertilise their eggs. So basically, I’m being tricked into motherhood before I’m ready – and not even to human beings but to bloody mosquitoes. I object to that!

Plus, I could be responsible for killing my own offspring. Isn’t that infanticide? In this case I think we could call it insecticide and if ever I get done for it, I'll plead justifiable insecticide - I'd like to see them argue against that one!

No comments: