Tuesday 19 February 2008

Valentine's Day came a little late

I've just had such a laugh at work today. I work with an organisation that seeks to empower people with disabilities and today 3 young guys who are deaf were in the office. They must have got bored and decided to overcome the obvious communication hurdles that exist (when I speak English and they speak Sinhala but sign language Sinhala) because they just appeared at my desk and started chatting! We managed however and it was really funny.

One of them told me after ten minutes that he loved me (I was outraged it should have taken him so long lol) and then spent twenty minutes drawing me a rose and two hearts entwined. So despite spending last Valentine's Day having a candlelit dinner overlooking the Indian Ocean "all by myself" as the song goes, I still got a Valentine's card of sorts, just a little late. Actually the sitting by myself was spontaneous, accidental and nothing to do with V Day before people start singing that irritating song to me :-)

I'm amazed though and impressed with these guys. Sometimes here I get a little tired of having to make extra efforts to communicate - I don't resent it, it's just a bit tiring that's all. But these guys who must've faced communication difficulties all their lives decided to speak to the Scottish girl and we honestly did have a really good laugh. It's cheered me up anyway but I'm still not taking up his offer to marry him.

3 comments:

Louise said...

Or maybe its early!

The Romanian day of Dragobete is on February 24.

Anyway, enjoying keeping up with your adventures.

Louise
x

Adam said...

what a nice tale! i worked in sri lanka for 9 months at a school for the deaf in Matara. wondering if i know the organization you work for...does it start with a S or something?

i love your blog. maybe you'll like mine at www.foundinceylon.com. keep writing, please!! i hope to return in may for a month.

Indygal said...

Louise - trust you to know that lol. Hope you're well :-)

Adam - thank you, I really appreciate that. I am going back at the end of April, shame would've been nice to meet you. I had a quick look at your blog and will look over it properly when I get a quick break.

I work for CBTD, Community Business Technology Developers - Wackwella Road. You may be thinking of Shakthi organisation who do some work with people with disabilities amongst other things.