Wednesday 5 March 2008

The advantage of being a foreigner!

By that I mean being a Glaswegian. Many fellow Scots find a Glasgow accent difficult enough to figure out so what chance does a Sri Lankan have? None, I’m pleased to say because it means I can entertain myself with it. Remember I do a lot of walking every day so I need something to amuse me.

Yesterday I’m walking along the beach road towards my gym. I don’t normally walk seeing as it’s an hour away but last night I thought it was an idea to completely knacker myself (remember it’s very hot) before I even got changed, for some reason.

Anyway this guy comes bounding across the road shouting “hello, where are you going?” so I stop to chat to him. He’s asking me lots of questions, paying me lots of compliments (always welcome), generally being a bit of a smoothie and then he asks why I’m going to the Lighthouse. I tell him to go to the gym.

“Ah yes” says the guy who sounded very much like he was chatting me up a minute ago “it will help with the fat bits of you”!!!

“So it will” say I laughing away “nae idea whit you’re gonnae dae about the ugly bits o’ you mind you, ya bleep bleep charmer”. He laughs too and says “yes, yes” so he clearly hasn’t heard Weegie before.

I say my goodbyes still smiling sweetly, promise that “of course” I’ll come to his house for dinner, gather my “fat bits” together (grateful that it’s only bits of me that are fat according to him), and have a little giggle to myself. I just hope I don’t forget where I am next time I’m in Sauchiehall Street and someone annoys me!

PS He wasn’t ugly but in any case I’m a firm believer that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and would not normally say stuff like that - he deserved it however!

3 comments:

port burd said...

Oh man, this made my day.... I was busy studying for an economics test tomorrow and monetary and fiscal policy was doing my head in. Oh being a weegie is good fun...

Indygal said...

And I have now worked out who you are Port Burd. Hee hee. Hope your test went well :-)

Sadeesh said...

Very nice blog
Very nice info
Sri Lanka Tour Packages