Monday 3 March 2008

Inflicting pain on myself


A couple of days after I arrived here I joined the pool and gym at the Lighthouse Hotel. Since then I've been going maybe three times a week to swim. I started on 20 lengths, noticed Julia was doing 30 so upped it and then Anne told me 40 lengths of this pool was half a mile so that's what I now do each time I go. But until yesterday I hadn't managed to drag myself into the gym.


So, Sunday morning, off I head to the Lighthouse. I was in a bit of a day dreamy mood, mixed with a slight touch of homesickness and had not much enthusiasm for swimming never mind the gym. So at 10.30am I said to one of the trainers, "ok show me how it all works but I'm not doing it today, I'm just swimming". "No problem" he replies. Relief all round because they can be quite determined these fitness people. We begin the "demonstration" ...

NINETY MINUTES OF NON STOP EXERCISE LATER !!!!! ...

he says "now you can swim"!! But guess what - I did, I still managed 40 lengths. It's true that exercise is good for the mind as well as the body. I felt so calm and my mood improved enormously.

Unfortunately, I was so chilled out that I forgot to apply sunscreen to anywhere other than my face and arms. The result is that my back and the back of my legs are scarlet. So last night I was mainly Sleepless in Sri Lanka which is ironic as I watched a bit of Sleepless in Seattle yesterday - anyway I've woken up today expecting to be in agony and I feel normal (apart from bites, stings and sunburn) which was almost disappointing, I felt like I must have been doing it wrong. However my housemate tells me not to worry, I'll definitely be in pain tomorrow. Well, I'd better ... !


PS That's my latest photo posted above, you can see it's working eh?

3 comments:

port burd said...

Oh dear Anne, I think I've caught you out. Have you dyed your hair? Or is the picture just to show the kind of body you are aiming for with 40 lengths? Well done....

Unknown said...

Well done on the exercise front - I did a gym induction last week, but I don't know when I'll go back!

Indygal said...

Alison you don't need a gym!!!

Port Burd - no seriously, that's me in the photo now lol.