Wednesday 12 March 2008

Deprivation

Ok so I know this is not really an example of true deprivation but I only have time for trivia today as I'm off on some field trips to Martara and Tangalle shortly. Yes, so, deprivation. Last night I booked myself into a nice hotel for the night where, apart from having Air Conditioning and drinking coffee, I did something I've not done since 24th January this year. I watched TV!!! Yes I have been deprived of TV for over six weeks. As someone who some years ago was a bit of a telly addict (with no desire however to appear on that daft Noel Edmonds show), I think I'm doing well. I used to record the following soaps:

Coronation Street
Eastenders
Emmerdale
Neighbours
Home & Away
Prisoner Cell Block H

I also recorded documentaries, political programmes and dramas. And I watched them all. Countdown I found was much better when pre-recorded as you could fast forward the talking bits and just play the game. Around 3 years ago I moved house and couldn't work my VCR. At first I felt slightly panicked. How would I cope if I didn't know what Jack was up to in Corrie? But the panic passed and I soon learned to cope with watching only what happened to be on if I happened to be in!

Gradually I dropped all of the soaps except Corrie. I continued to watch a fair bit of TV or at least have the TV on in the background. And then I came here. I have no TV and it's fine. I was so busy adjusting to all the other changes that TV deprivation was the last thing on my mind. And whilst the novelty of watching it last night was great, after a while I was bored and switched off.

So, it will be interesting to see how that changes when I get back home especially as I'll be living with my soap addicted mum for the first couple of weeks!

No comments: