Friday 14 March 2008

Adventure getting more and more hectic

What a week it's been. Yesterday I got picked up at 6.30am to go on 'field trips'. We travelled across the country to visit a garment factory that now employs people with disabilities. We went from there to visit a business creation organisations to hear how they'd been convinced to focus on people with disabilities and finally at night we visited a woman with a visual impairment who runs her own business. I say finally. We left her at 7pm but it took till 11pm to get home. It might not have taken so long had I not been desperate to find a bathroom (soooo polite). The driver of our minibus took us to his sister's house in the jungle and the whole family came out to greet us and feed and water us again! It was a fantastic day and even when I was half asleep staring into the black night as we drove for hours through windy narrow jungle roads, I just felt completely alive and exhilarated. Sometimes I still think "am I really here?". Well, I am and every day brings more excitement.

Today's excitement? Heading to Colombo for the weekend. They have nightlife there you know!! I love the quiet in Galle but it's time for this country girl to head to the bright lights of the big city. We're meeting up with a few of the other volunteers out here, going shopping, getting our hair done, sunset cocktails, dinner - and tonight, we're being taken out to somewhere "sophisticated" by a fellow Glaswegian. I told him he won't be allowed in but maybe if he's with us ... !

PS Remember the rat? He's a mouse, he was in our humane trap this morning munching nervously on the Snickers bar that he deprived us of. Now all I have to do is convince Donna he's not a cute pet but good news!!

PPS Remember the b**b that they defused down the road from my house? That was the security matter I was referring to. It was a box of sand. Even better news lol.

No comments: