Wednesday 19 March 2008

Tunnock Tastic Thewliss


Sorry, couldn't think of another headline ... just had to say a huge thank you to one of my favourite people Alison Thewliss or should that be Councillor Alison Thewliss? I got home last night to a parcel which had the address written on an SNP postit and inside a birthday card, a collection of Edwin Morgan poems, some YSI badges, some Cadbury's Buttons and best of all a packet of Tunnock's Caramel Wafers "to remind me of home". You should have seen the smile on my face.


Alison is a very thoughtful person anyway but because she has lived abroad I think she knows how important it is to have contact with your friends and family back home. An email or text is great and you know you've not been forgotten. A phone call or something through the post is even better which is why I was so pleased to get this. My good friend Mary McCabe also sent me a copy of a book she'd had published some years back. It's based in Glasgow and I'm really enjoying reading it.


When I complain to my friends about their lack of contact they invariably tell me:


* they expected I'd not want to hear from them as they've nothing new to say (not so, it's good to know everything is normal back home, I once even requested a mundane email from a friend just so I knew nothing had changed),


* they read my blog so know what I'm up to on a daily basis (great, but I want to know what you're up to, too),


* they're too busy running the country (yeah right, how many folk use that old chestnut?)


So, thank you to all my friends and family who've kept in touch while I've been here and keep the emails, calls and letters coming - the odd Tunnock's Caramel Wafer is also very acceptable!

1 comment:

port burd said...

Hi Anne,
I am a blue ribband person myself but would also be very thankful of some chocolate in the post. While I was working in Kentucky and before I married Robert, I had spoken to him on the phone and was a bit fed up. A few days later the biggest bar of chocolate arrived in the post, I cried and ended up marrying him as I thought it was the most lovely thing anyone had sent me, and much needed.....
Enjoy your caramel wafers..
G