Tuesday 18 March 2008

Paying through the nose for nothingness

Am currently away with work on a two day business planning workshop. We're staying here at the Barberyn Hotel which they advertise as giving the "authentic Ayurvedic experience". I was very excited at the prospect but I think my excitement was something to do with the fact that it costs a fortune to stay here and I wasn't paying. Materialism rules again sadly. However again I'm learning the lesson that value has nothing to do with cost. It's nice, the rooms are lovely but if I had to stay here for a holiday, I'm quite sure I'd die of boredom. It's just yoga, massage, rest, relaxation, meditation, holistic food and no alcohol. Which is fine for a day but some people are here for 3 weeks and I've yet to see anyone smile. One woman said a member of staff threatened to report her for leaving her room when she'd been ordered to relax lol. The other thing is that being Ayurvedic they don't want to be cruel to anyone not even mosquitoes. So they don't spray the rooms and the mossies just gaily fly in the gaps in the windows. Still, if it's solitude and beautiful peaceful surroundings you want, it's perfect. I can only take so much peace and quiet!

No comments: